Saturday, May 14, 2016

Creatures of Passion - Reflection on Proverbs 16:9


Oh, how we are creatures of passion. We seek to find ourselves in the waves of emotions that guides our path to what we want and what we think is the path that God has for us.

There have been many times where I thought, where I believed that God had something for me only to have it taken away. Or where i believed that this was His will in my life, only to see the door close. It wasn't until God showed a verse to me that it really hit home. Proverbs 16:9 reads:


The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps. (ESV)


That verse hit me like a ton of bricks. Oh how I'm a creature of passion that plans what I think is God's will. Only to have Him completely shatter it, remove what I thought was in line with His will. I'm humbled, torn apart, and, in the end, turning to God in repentance for my sins. Then He guides me into the path that He has established for me. Ecclesiastes 7:13 reads:


Consider the work of God: who can make straight what he has made crooked? (ESV)


God purposely puts things in our path to teach us and to grow us. He let's us run off with our hearts, to seek after what we want and then lets us fail. And He does this only because He loves us. He loves us so much that His main purpose is for us to root out the deep, dark, sin that resides within. To bring us closer to Him and to remove the chains that binds us from being truly free. Our God is a jealous Father. He does not want us to strive after things in our lives that will kill us spiritually in the end.


The question that ultimately comes from this is, when you fail, when you are brought down to the edge of desperation, what will you do? Do you blame God for not giving you all of your hearts desires? Do you blame Him for not giving you a perfect life of comfort? Do you fall deeper in sin? Do you seek joy or comfort in temporary pleasures?


Or will you turn to God in desperation and repentance. Will you find comfort in His arms and peace in His presence. If this is what You do, He will heal you and bring you everlasting joy that cannot come from anywhere else. Our gratitude should be to praise God and thank Him.for caring for us more than what our earthly father ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment